[Advaita-l] BG 2.45: nirguNa or saguNa?

Mahesh Ursekar mahesh.ursekar at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 15:26:54 CDT 2005

Pranams:

 The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that a Jnani is
"established in (pure) sattva" (or is Saguna Brahman) rather than living in
a state wherein s/he transcends the three gunas (Nirguna Brahman). In fact,
the only time the three gunas can be transcended is the state of samadhi, in
which all externality is lost and only pure consciousness remains.
Therefore, IMHO, samadhi is the ultimate state to reach in spiritual
evolvement (sorry to disagree with you, Jaldhar).

 Some points in support of the above:

   1. Sri Ramakrishna, in his gospel (pp 860) states: "A person may keep
   his or her ego even after attaining samadhi. Such a person feels either that
   s/he is a servant of God or that s/he is a lover of God. Sankaracharya
   retained the 'ego of knowledge' to teach people spiritual life. The 'servant
   ego', the 'knowledge ego' or the 'devotee ego' may be called the 'ripe ego'.
   It is different from the 'unripe ego' which makes one feel 'I am the doer'."
   2. An advaitic interpretation of the Gita wherein the Lord uses the
   words like 'I' or 'Me' is interpreted as referring to the Saguna aspect of
   Brahman. Was there a greater Jnani than Sri Krishna?
   3. Take Vidyaranya's definition that Brahman reflected in pure sattva
   is Isvara while the same reflected in avidya, in which rajas and tamas are
   also present, is the jiva. Now Sankara's commentary on the famous two bird
   passage of the Munduka Upanishad (ref S. Radhakrishnan, Indian philosophy,
   vol2, pp602) says: "Of these two so perched, the ksetrajna occupying the
   subtle body, eats (i.e. tastes) from ignorance the fruit of karma
   marked as happiness and misery, palatable in many and diversified mode; the
   other, the Lord eternal, pure intelligent and free in his nature, omniscient
   and conditioned by sattva, does not eat; for he is the director of both the
   eater and the eaten. His mere witnessing is as good as direction, as in the
   case of a king". Isn't the Jnani being referred to as the second bird? And
   that makes sense, since in the analogy, it has a body (so attributes like
   Saguna Brahman) and is not nirguna.

 All the above said, let me say that like Isvara, the Jnani is not deluded
by maya and can transcend it at will.

 Professor, your thoughts on the above would be most welcome since your
wisdom and knowledge would far exceed what my arguments try to convey.

 Humble pranams, Mahesh