[Advaita-l] A Query

U.K Anumula anumula at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 26 15:17:08 CST 2005

In Indian philosophy we come across concepts like "aatma",  "Paramaatma",
"Brahman", and God by different names, e.g., "Brahma", "Vishnu" and "Siva"
etc.   My question is this: Are God and Brahman the same or are they two
different concepts?   If they are different, when "Brahma" is "satyam" and
all else is "mithya", God also becomes "mithya".   I think it was in Devi
Purana there is a slokam which says "maayaantu prakritim viddhi, maya
maatram parameswaraha".   An understanding on these lines, as literally
interpreted, would lead us to true Godlessness.   God, in such an
interpretation, is a creature of human ignorance rather than one who is
transcendentally real.  Idol worship and performance of various rituals have
nothing to do with true advaita. One can be a true advaitin and at the same
time a non-believer in God (and certainly in the various manifestations of
God that Indian cosmogeny revels in.)  Yet at the same time, worship and
belief in God, in whatever form, appears to be truly comforting and
apparently even providing answers to a common man's several troubling
questions.   Can one deny God and be a true Advaitin?