[Advaita-l] Some questions on Advaita Vedanta and Smartism

sunil bhattacharjya skbhattacharjya at yahoo.co.in
Tue Nov 1 02:05:50 CST 2005

Dear friend,

Linga is the causal expression indicative of
causation. For example once a person dies the astral
body (Sukshma sarira) leaves the physical body behind.
Later on the linga sarira(the causal body) leaves the
vital body and alone survives to take another birth.
This purpose of this example is just to say that linga
does not always have to have a physical connotation.
Anybody interested in this further can look up the
Sankhya. When we worship Lord Siva we think of him as
the ultimate cause of this creation. Patanjali has
said about lingalinga ie. linga and alinga. Here linga
is the purusha and alinga is the prakriti. My point is
that though puranas had expressed the word linga in
terms of physical connotation we should not lose sight
of its deeper(or advanced?) meaning.

Regards

Sunil Bhattacharjya