[Advaita-l] Largest Mercury Shivalingam in the World Created in Ujjain, India

Yadu Moharir ymoharir at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 6 08:12:48 CST 2005

Namaste Abhishek-Ji:

All I am saying that there is a pot-hole on the street.

It is up the individual to know and realize that are potential problems.

If we do not what to acknowledge the problems ands stick to it because it is old then it is our own loss.

Abhishek RK <rkabhi at gmail.com> wrote:

Namaste,

On 11/5/05, Yadu Moharir wrote:

> Namaste Jayanarayanan-Ji:
>
> Apologies if this is out of the scope of list's discussions. But I hope
> the knowledgeable list members will think for themselves and take the
> necessary actions by guiding the colleagues.
>
> In US they have switched to alternate ceramic fillings because of the
> mercury issue. If patient insist on Silver Amalgam filling then dentist is
> supposed to warn them of the associated risks in-order to reduce comply with
> his malpractice insurance requirements
>
> Already the toxicity of mercury exposure is well documented in the
> literature. Some of the papers are listed below: There are over 100,000
> scientifically published articles pertaining to the exposure of mercury
> toxicity in industrial, mining, even scientist who use vacuum systems with
> mercury pressure gauges. This is because of the vapor pressure of mercury.
>
> It is unfortunate that we do not want to even acknowledge known problems.
> First step of solving the problem is acknowledging it.

There has to be a problem to acknowledge first! We don't even know there is
a problem. IMHO there are enough "scientific" brains even in India to
discuss these "academic issues".

Absolutely, I agree that there are "Scientific" brains in India but are they using it is my question?  As yaskacharya stresses - what is point in having the dry wood (for samidhaa) if we do not oblate it into the fire?  (If forgot the exact quotation). Understanding utility is important.  That is what we try to achieve when we practice yoga, meditation puujaa rituals as advised through shastra.

We have to realize that we are standing on the shoulders of our ancestors therefore, we can possibly see farther than what they possibly could.  Shastra was created as an empirical rule for guidance and must be continuously evaluated that it still applies to current times.

They also gave us an important scientific tool of "neti-neti" for evaluating the truth.  So apply to the shastra and evaluate it and then follow if it is found to be correct discard it or make the necessary ammend it if necesary.

While Epidemiologists trying to find answers for the exponential propagation
> of AIDS in India and China; WHO identifies culture not willing to accept and
> acknowledge the problem as being the real problem.

At the end of your message you say - "Work for the Employer with the best
> benefits! Work for God!".
>
> In advita that God is not separate from "you - the individual" and you
> yourself have to take the responsibility for your own liberation through
> knowledge. bandhur aatmaiva ripur aatmanaH. You are your own friend and your
> are your own enemy.
>
> IMHO - Advaita is not for academic discussions but to liberate ourselves
> by recognizing the knowledge.
>
> aj~naana hR^idaya grnathiH naasho moxaadaiti smR^itam
>
> Meaning - Remembering that the amputation of that gland that secrets
> ignorance leads to liberation / salvation.
>
> Considering God separate from you, you are placing the responsibility of
> you salvation on others rather than recognizing your own responsibilities.
> You never get rich by working for others. The real salvation is becoming own
> employers (Industrialist).

If one has realised that truth you enunciate he will not be harmed even if
drinks a load of mercury! The same brahman that is there in you and me is
also in the mercury. Why are you forgetting this? Nevertheless since all of
us are not realised souls we have to live as per the shastras and gather
enough punyam to make our minds pure so that it will be fit to receive
knowledge. Otherwise we wil the biggest cheats- cheating ourselves and
others by claiming to have "realised"!

Living by shastra is a good idea but at the same time we have to realize that it (shastra) was created with only with their existing knowledge at that time.

By following the shastra of old times we are eliminating the refined knowledge that was acquired post formulation of that specific shastra.  In doing so we are at loss.  Our ancestors already ready dead we have to live.  Either we can live is the confined BOX of shastra or we can realize the limitations of that BOX.

Toxic substance is toxic regardless where it is manifested, because it is
> it's dharma. Our dharma is to recognize that hazard and save ourselves. But
> it looks like that we are carving our own destiny of destruction under the
> banner of "Ancient Culture". What a travesty of knowledge !! We absolutely
> deserve to suffer.

Well sir this does not seem such a big problem as to take the extreme
measures you advocate. But it seems some people have ideas of their own as
to what is "culture" and what is not. Better they live in such fantasies of
"culture" and leave those who want to live as per shastras alone!

I am only advising that one need to be aware of potential problems before the problems manifest.

Dear friend, we cannot go further if there is no resistance.  It is the resistance between the road and the tire that helps us move further.  A powerful locomotive is powerless on a greased rail tract.  It just spins it's wheels.

I appears to me that you advising us to sit on the fence and maintain the statesco !?  By doing the rituals without regard or consideration to the safety do think we will go anywhere?  If we are on a rocking chair, yes we will move and not go anywhere.

This is my Last post on this thread.

Regards,
Abhishek

Regards and Best wishes.

Dr. Yadu

--
> bhava Sankara deSika me saraNam
>
> sadASiva samArambham SankaracArya madhymam
> asmadAcArya paryantam vande guru paramparam

For assistance, contact:
listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org