[Advaita-l] should we discuss adhyAya 1 verse by verse?

Amuthan Arunkumar R aparyap at yahoo.co.in
Tue Nov 8 20:25:28 CST 2005

namo nArAyaNAya!

dear list members,

now that the avatArikA to gItA is over, we can move on
to the gItA itself. but, as is well known, sha~Nkara
begins his commentary only from 2.10. madhusUdana
sarasvatI, however, has written a commentary on the
entire first adhyAya. since there are not much
bhagavad vachanam-s in the first adhyAya, i guess we
can safely skip it. there is, of course, quite a lot
to be learnt from the first adhyAya, but that can be
summarized in a mail or two. please note that this is
only for the first adhyAya. for the remaining, i plan
to go verse by verse.

i require feedback from the members (with the
moderators' decision being final) on whether only a
summary of the first adhyAya is required or whether
the entire adhyAya is to be taken up verse by verse.

i feel the former is sufficient, but the latter is
also fine with me, though that may delay the main
discussions. please bear in mind that the first
adhyAya has 47 verses and it may take quite sometime
before we finish it and move on to the core of the
gItA :-)

vAsudevaH sarvaM,
aparyAptAmR^itaH.

Amuthan Arunkumar R,