[Advaita-l] Sanskrit Study

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Nov 16 01:25:11 CST 2005

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, Manjunath Joshi wrote:

> Namaskara,
> I am Manjunath B Joshi from Gulbarga, Karnataka. Now I am doing PhD in Basel
> University, Switzerland. I am member of Advita mailing list and I enjoy
> discussion very much.  I am very much intrested in learning sanskrit. Is
> there any online or corresponding courses which offers sanskrit for
> beginners?

There are some but I think they are of dubious value.  Someone of your
background is probably quite capable of teaching himself.  The Gita is
actually a good first text, its language is quite simple.  You just need a
Sanskrit-English dictionary like Aptes' so you can look up words you don't
understand.

Grammar is harder.  There is a book called "Teach Yourself Sanskrit" by
Michael Coulson which should be available in any large bookstore.  It's
fault (from my point of view) is that it teaches according to the Western
method but its pretty good and has exercises to practice etc.  For a taste
of the traditional method, there is an English translation of the
laghusiddhantakaumudi by James Ballantyne.  Anyone of a logical mind will
be fascinated by the intricate way the sutras (It is an abridgement of
Paninis' sutras) are arranged.  But as a practical method of learning
Sanskrit, it can be rough going without a proper teacher.