[Advaita-l] Science and Vedantha

Sanjay Srivastava sksrivastava68 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 18:52:21 CST 2005

Sri Mahesh Ursekar wrote:

> While I agree to the above, all I am doing is try to search for clues that
> "the master has left behind" (so to speak) for the analytic among us who
> wish to find clues as to how the fundamental assertion of Advaita can
> be arrived at without recourse to the scriptures.

It seems there is a fundamental confusion here about the subject
matter of Advaita. The subject matter of advaita is the "self' -- the
ultimate subject that can never be objectified. No analysis or
reasoning or observation is possible of the 'self" (or for that matter
any other subject) without making it an object of our thinking.
However, the moment it is objectified by our thinking, it is no longer
the subject matter of Advaita -- it is in essence something
fundamentally different from the subject matter of Advaita.

If reasoning could proceed without thinking, probably there would have
been a way to understand the "self" through reasoning alone.
Unfortunately, at the current level of evolution, human race is not
endowed with such faculty.

praNAm