[Advaita-l] A Brief Introduction to pUrva mImAmsA - 6 (Mantras)

Yadu Moharir ymoharir at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 12 17:46:30 CDT 2005

Namaste Jayanarayan-Ji:

This is disturbing to learn that most teachers do not teach the meaning of mantras.  No wonder we have lost the core principle "j~nana vastu" from the culture.

If we accept this, then whatever we say has no meaning.  All the words and the combination there of become meaningless !!?

This takes away the fundamental reasoning for language.  I believe that is why yaaskaa said art.m vaacaH puShpa phalaM.

The definition of mantra is as I recall - matraaH mananaata. or mannaata traayat iti mantraH

It is also said - "mantraarta mantracaitanya yo na jaanatoi saadhakaH | shatalaksha prajaptopi tasya mantro nasidhyati ||"

Our yogashaastra tell us - tatjapastadarthabhaavanam || samaadhipaada 1.28||.

We all desire to preserve or defend our culture, but how can we defend something, if we do not know what and why we are defending?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Regards,

Dr. Yadu

S Jayanarayanan <sjayana at yahoo.com> wrote:

The function of a mantra when chanted at a yaGYa (Vedic sacrifice) is
for the sake of the transcendental result that follows from the
yaGYa, but knowledge of the meanings of mantras is not required for
the performance of yaGYas. For this reason, most teachers of the
Vedas do not necessarily teach the meanings of Vedic mantras to their
students.