[Advaita-l] A Brief Introduction to pUrva mImAmsA - 6 (Mantras)

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Sat Oct 22 16:28:56 CDT 2005

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005, bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com wrote:

> Thanks for the clarification..Here in printed version of yajus rks we dont
> find Rshi, dEvata & chandas as in Rig vEda rks..

That's a deficiency in your book I think.  The shuklayajurveda has an
anukramanika by Maharshi Katyayana which lists these things so I would
think Krshnayajurveda had the same.

Would knowledgable south Indians care to comment?

  .BTW how about the stories
> behind shukla & krishna yajurvEda??  yAjnAvalkya vomitting vEda-s, pipIlika
> birds eating those...etc.etc...

Yes, by tradition the shuklayajurveda is younger than the other shakhas.

> prabhuji, how do you pronounce *chaNdas* ...I have seen you have typed
> *chanda* instead of chandas...here in south India we call it chaNdas not
> chanda...

That's my Gujarati pronounciation affecting it.  The proper Sanskrit is
chhandas for the root form and chhanda.h for the first singular.