[Advaita-l] Is Ishvara a Gynani?

Jagannath Chatterjee jagchat01 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 6 07:57:54 CDT 2005

Dear Girish ji,

Namaste. In Shankara's advaita, Ishvara can have no guna's. He is past all guna's, that is why we achieve to that state by the neti neti approach, the not-this, not-this approach. In that state there is neither Purusha nor Prakriti, it is avangmanasagocaram, beyond words, beyond senses. To say that Ishvara is a jnani would be a fallacy. What does he need knowledge for? Even the word Sat-Cit-Ananda does not apply there just because no desription would ever fit that state. It is a state of experience only. He is beyond maya and yet can seemingly play in the realms of maya. Maya itself is a flawed projection of our mind, the projection we have to get rid of.

My 2c.

Regards,
Jagannath.

Girish Ramadurgam <rsgirish at gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Members,

I have a few question regarding Ishvara? On reading panchadashi my
understanding is Ishvara is reflection of self on Prakriti, the sattva
aspect of prakriti.

If it is so,

1) Doesnt Ishvara has more chances to realise Self than a Jiva?
2) If Ishvara has realised Self, then wouldn't Ishavara cease to
exists? Then would maya recreate Ishvara by its power?
3) If Krishna has realised Brahman then wouldn't we infer that Vishnu
knows the truth and would then cease to exists.(as Krishna is avtara
of Vishnu)?
4) So is Vishnu a role created by Maya to maintain it creation?

Best Wishes,

Girish