[Advaita-l] Confused with Gita 5.10 & 5.11

Shyam Venkataraman shyam.venkataraman at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 10:23:27 CDT 2005

Namaskaram.
 Dear Praveen,
 The body-mind complex is jadam (inert). For example: a carpenter needs
tools like the axe, chisel to carry out his job. The tools themselves cannot
perform any action. But without the tools the carpenter cannot do any
carpentry. Therefore, with the tools alone, the actions take place.
Similarly the sense organs become a tool for the person for doing various
activities. But the sense organs by themselves are jadam (insentient). So
nirgunam brahma lends consciousness to the sense organs. Therefore, any
action is performed by the combination of atma or nirgunam
brahma(consciousness) and the sense organs in the body-mind complex.
Therefore the atma "as though" becomes a karta,bhogta. The atma is not a
doer but without the atma there is no doer.
 So, if you identify yourself as the body-mind complex, you will have to
reap the punya-papa karma due to various actions. But in the wake of this
knowledge, you know that you are not this body-mind complex.
 I hope I have clarified your doubt.
 Hari Om!
 Shyam