[Advaita-l] 'End' not 'Means'

Sankaran Aniruddhan ani at ee.washington.edu
Thu Apr 27 15:54:01 CDT 2006

namaste Sri Aditya,

> Yes, the
> existence of such an experiment proves that the Sruti's stand on women
> studying the vedas IS falsifiable.

Only if the vedas claim some 'effect' (ill or good) from women chanting
the vedas. There may or may not be any observable effect. My understanding
is that the only reason for the orthodox position is our vedic
*tradition*. Again, this is not because women have any inherent physical
or mental defect.

I myself am a little bit ambivalent on this issue. I understand that the
orthodox scholars want to hold on to tradition. However, there have been
some bad practices that have been condoned in the name of tradition.

Sruti smRti purANAnAm Alayam karuNAlayam
namAmi bhagavatpAda Sam.karam lokaSam.karam

Aniruddhan