[Advaita-l] Re: Buddhism Related Discussions

Abhishek RK rkabhi at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 00:49:01 CDT 2006

On 8/18/06, Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar at braincells.com> wrote:

> >>  Because we are all one culture? ;-)
> >

> > What is this supposed to mean?
> >

> I was responding to this:
>

> > I said that all the darSana-s sprang from the same *culture* and thats
> an
> > unalterable fact. Whether that saMskR^iti & sabhyatA mean anything to
> you,
> > I don't know, but they mean a lot to me. I have travelled across A
> > bhArtavarSha from Lahaul (trans-Himalayan region in Himachal Pradesh) to
> > Kanyakumari and Dvaraka to Bhutan. I feel it in my skin and bones.
>
> How much ancient cultures of India were related and to what extent they
> influenced each other is an open question.  And what our attitude towards
> them should be *today* is more a political question than a historical one.

When has "history", as you use it here, ever been seperate from
politics? History is not an exact science to be completely neutral. It is
how *we* study and interpret the available records that makes up history.

Regards,
Abhishek

--
satyena dhAryate pR^ithvi satyena tapate raviH|
satyena vAti vAyushca sarvaM satye pratishThitam||

calA lakShmIshcalAH prANAshcalaM jIvita yauvanaM|
calAcale ca saMsAre dharma eko hi nishcalaH||