[Advaita-l] bhAgavata purANa

Annapureddy Siddhartha Reddy annapureddy at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 20:24:45 CDT 2006

praNAm.h all,
        Thanks Jaldharji, Krishnamurthyji, and Devanathanji for your

-- Jaldharji, if we accept Wendy Doniger's dates, many of the purANas were
penned down later to shaN^kara, and hence their number could not have been
18 during shaN^kara's time. Please note though that this does not mean that
the stories/ideas themselves were not known.

I have a few further questions on vyAsa, bhAgavata purANa vis-a-vis advaita
vEdAnta.

-- Is vyAsa considered to be an incarnation of nArAyaNa in advaita vEdAnta?
Is it more like a later-day belief like shaN^kara being an incarnation of
shiva, or is it justified on the basis of shAstra pramANa like the purANas?

-- What is the status of purANas in advaita vEdAnta? Do they form part of
the shabda pramANa? If so, why haven't they been used much in the
commentaries of shaN^kara? For example, in the bhAgavata purANa, the
"AtmAvasyamidaM" verse occurs while detailing how the IshAvAsya has been
revealed. Thus, in the interpretation of the IshAvAsya upaniShat.h, the
relevant context in the bhAgavata would have been immensely useful. How come
shaN^kara never chooses to use such context at all?

-- Right from the times of rAmAnuja, it seems the purANas have been
classified into sAttvika, rAjasika and tAmasika. And when two purANas
conflict, the sAttvika purANa prevails over the other etc. Is this
acceptable to the advaitins? What is also the opinion of shaivite advaitic
commentators like srIkanTha, appaya dIkShita etc. on this issue?

-- Is there any difference between uttara mImAMsa and vEdAnta? It seems that
uttara mImAMsa concerns itself mostly with the appropriate interpretation of
the upaniShats, while vEdAnta also admits other shAstras like the
mahAbhArata, the purANas etc. Is this a correct distinction to maintain?

-- Irrespective of whether vyAsa is considered an incarnation of nArAyaNa or
not, given that vyAsa is included in the guru paraMpara, his other writings
like the mahAbhArata and the purANas should have been given special
attention to understand what he is trying to convey. But there doesn't seem
to be any authoritative commentary on the mahAbhArata, for example, from the
advaita vEdAnta school (or are there some standard commentaries?). Any
particular reason for this?

-- svAmi sachchidAnEndra sarasvati in his vEdAnta prakriya pratyAbhiGYa
mentioned that shaN^kara refers to the author of vEdAnta sUtras as
bAdarAyaNa, while the identification of bAdarAyaNa with vyAsa was done by
vAchaspati mishra. It seemed to me he didn't care which way the
identification went. Is there any reason for the traditional circles to
insist on the identification (if at all they do)?

-- In general, is there any reason why the dates assigned by the historians
to the purANas are not acceptable to tradition? Taking the above example of
vEdAnta sUtras, one would think that it should not matter from a
philosophical perspective if bAdarAyaNa and vyAsa were different, as long as
vEdAnta sUtras as admitted as shAstra pramANa.

Thanks.

A.Siddhartha.

Sorry for the late reply.