[Advaita-l] Re: smarthas

venkata subramanian venkat_advaita at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 24 08:46:16 CDT 2006

The Kanchi Paramacharya in his Deivathin Kural mentions as follows:-

  Vaishnavas, Madhvas have become a separate sect each, having his own Tantra / Agama as the pramana.  this includes practices like Samashrayana etc. etc. which are performed in addition to what is ordained in the Sroutha and Smartha Sutras.

  Everyone originally were Smarthas ..following Only the smrithis - (this terms is comprehensive and means that a smartha is a Sroutha + Smartha).  when later these sects sprang up, they all became separate titles like Achar etc.   but the Original smartha title - Sharma was continued by the traditional smarthas who continuted to remain so - without alluding to Ramanuja or Madhva sidhantha.

  Further, i am told that the present srichurna + white nama was introduced by Ramanuja only ( i am not sure of this), and this urdwa pundra was different from the smartha urdhva pundra of mere chandan - which many smartha families continue to this day.

Abhishek RK <rkabhi at gmail.com> wrote:

Such a division called "smArta" sect is not found in the shAstras. It
is a modern convenience to name non-vaiShNavas as "smArtas".

--
satyena dhAryate pR^ithvi satyena tapate raviH|
satyena vAti vAyushca sarvaM satye pratishThitam||

calA lakShmIshcalAH prANAshcalaM jIvita yauvanaM|
calAcale ca saMsAre dharma eko hi nishcalaH||

For assistance, contact:
listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org

Thanks & Regards,
Venkat.