[Advaita-l] Re: Buddhism Related Discussions

Lakshminarayana narayana_kl_71 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 26 13:51:20 CDT 2006

Namaste Shri Jaldhar,

Sorry for the late reply on this topic.

> Sorry, I am refering to Gaudapadacharyas Mandukya
> karikas 4.83-84.
> Neither Gaudapadacharya  nor actually Shankaracharya
> identify the 4
> incorrect theories but Anandagiri's tika says they
> refer to Samkhya,
> Charvaka, Jaina, and "Shunyavadi" (not specified
> further) Bauddhas.

Does Anandagiri mention any reason why the
shUnyavAdin's point of view is expressed by using a
double "nAsti"? I can understand the usage of "asti"
for referring to the sAmkhya viewpoint, but the others
are a little bit vague. It would therefore help if
Anandagiri also has something to say on the reference
to jains and charvakas in this verse. Does he discuss
this issue in more detail?

Interestingly you said - "shUnyavAdin (not specified
further)". Are you hinting at the possibility of a
non-mAdhyamika shUnyavAdi bauddha?