[Advaita-l] Re: brahma satyam jagan mithya

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 31 19:45:05 CDT 2006

>   Namaskaram.  Please bear with me for asking a dumb question as I am a novice.  I saw your posting of Nirvanashtakam on your website.  There are only six slokas.  What happened to the other two?

As this is a point I have often noted and corrected in the past, I will respond although the question is addressed to Sri Sastri.

There are no other two verses. The Slokas are called nirvANashaTkam - a collection of six verses. I have seen two wrong terms used by
different people, who assume there should be either eight or hundred verses - nirvANAshTakam (eight) or nirvANaSatakam (hundred).

i.e. the correct term is nirvANa + shaTkam, not nirvANa + ashTakam nor nirvANa + Satakam.

Regards,
Vidyasankar