[Advaita-l] Re: More on Paurusha

Vishwanathan Raman raman.vishwanathan at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 05:11:50 CST 2006

Pranaams to learned list members,

 This is my first post to this list ever since I became a member (though I
actively read the posts almost on a daily basis). So I request the list
members to please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

 "Do your duty / don't expect results" is often one of the mis quoted
interpretations of the
message conveyed by Gita.

For instance, if I publish a book, then certainly as a publisher of the
book, I can have expectations with regard to the number of sales that would
occur. In fact an expectation is indeed required, to decide how many copies
initially needs to be printed. Therefore having expectations per se is
not a problem.

For any action there could be 3 possible outcomes:

(1) The result meets my expectations
(2) The result exceeds my expectations, OR
(3) The result is below my expectations (which could be negative also).

So what is important is the maturity to receive the karma phala with
equanimity of mind which is termed as "prasada buddhi" in the Bhagavad Gita.

Regards,
Viswanathan.R

Message: 2