[Advaita-l] shat-sampada

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri Dec 15 23:12:32 CST 2006

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006, Sylvain wrote:

> According to a sanskrit dictionary, "satsampada" (shat-sampad) is a
> vedAnta notion. Is it ?

Yes.

> However, we can't find datas on the Web about "satsampada", "shat
> sampada", "shat sampad".
>
> How would you translate this notion in English ? And how would you
> translate in English the 6 sampada : sama, dama, uparati, titiksA,
> shraddhA, et samAdhAna ?

It is Shatasampada = the six means of sadhana.  These are the virtues that
any form of spiritual exercise must grow if it is to be considered a help
in knowing Brahman.  These are the definitions given in the Vedanta
Paribhasha of Dharmaraja (Which is available on our website.)

antarindriyanigrahaH shamaH |

Control over the mind is shama (calmness.)

bAhirindriyanigraho dAmaH |

Control over the senses is dama (self-control.)

vixepAbhAvoparatiH |

The ability to be unswayed by (material) distractions is uparati (withdrawal.)

shItoShNAdidvandvasahanaM titixa |

The ability to endure the pairs of opposites such as hot and cold
is titiksha (endurance.)

chittekAgrayaM samAdhAnam |

One-pointedness of focus (on Brahman) is samadhana (concentration.)

guruvedAntavakyeShu vishvAsaH shraddhAH |

Trust in the teachings of the Guru and Vedanta is shraddha (faith.)

The author goes on to note that some thinkers interpret uparati to imply
sannyasa.  However others think even non-monks can atleast start to turn
away from materialistic distractions.