[Advaita-l] Self-knowledge

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 2 13:22:31 CST 2006

--- bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com wrote:

> praNAms Sri Amuthan prabhuji
> Hare Krishna
>
> AA prabhuji:
>
> for a brahmavit, avidyA is not completely removed
> though he has a first hand knowledge of brahman.
>
> bhaskar :
>
> I am not able to get this statement of yours...coz. shruti says
> *brahmavit
> brahmaiva bhavati*...you mean to say here even after brahma jnAna /
> after
> *becoming* brahman ...there is room for residue of avidyA??

Yes - there can be a "residue" of avidyA even after aparoksha
BrahmaGYAna.

For a BrahmaGYAnI who is not a jIvanmukta, avidyA exists like a
serpent whose fangs have been removed. But for a BrahmaGYAnI who has
attained jIvanmukti, the serpent is fully destroyed. This is the
position of svAmi VidyAraNya:

http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2003-August/012833.html

The above link is actually incomplete, but it gives a rough idea of
the differences between a BrahmaGYAnI and a jIvanmukta.

Thanks,

Kartik