[Advaita-l] Self-knowledge

Mahesh Ursekar mahesh.ursekar at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 06:34:58 CST 2006

Pranams!

Sorry about the late reply but I was caught up with things.

Ah, what you describe is science trying to explain love! Material trying to
explain the non-material. We come to a core point in Western philosophy -
the relation of mind and matter. There is an interesing book 'The Quest for
Consciousness" by Christoph Koch (working with the late Francis Crick of DNA
fame) in which his pursuit, among others, it to find how a 'feeling' can
arise due to a 'chemical'. So, the jury is out on that one!

One can get quite carried away with science as explaining the world, but I,
for one, question its depiction of reality. Therefore, in spiritual matters
(unlike most other disciplines), it is critical to read the lives of Masters
and their teaching. Only a sufi saint or a religious mystic will be able to
tell you that love is what is all around us. Love is. Nothing more. And one
knows that this saint is more at grips with reality that people like us,
who, in most cases would call such a person 'out of his or her mind'.

But I need to address your point that injected hormones in the blood produce
feelings of love, anger, hatred. How is this possible if love is
transcendental as the true lover claims? I am a die hard reflective idealist
(my own philosophical term) - what's seen outside is due to what's inside
the mind and vice versa (hence, reflective). If such is the case, all the
laws of physics are inside the mind and because the mind thinks so, the laws
of physics are as they are. Infact, Swami Vivekananda (who, for those who
may not know this, was at one time  to work with the emmient physicist
Nikolai Tesla to verify Swamiji's claim that matter and energy were one -
way before Einstein became famous for the same claim!) also proved the
locality of physics laws via rational arguments which I don't have access
to.

That said, the reason why injected hormones appear to produce feelings of
love is that this is the Kali Yug or 'yantra yug' as an ISCKON monk said,
and the power of our minds is reduced. We "want" to reduce things to
scientific explanations and so the Universe conspires with us make it so! It
is that simple! If you don't believe this, read stories of Himalayan Masters
in which they throw all the so called laws to 'high heaven'! They are love,
we *are made* to experience it - that is the a big difference!

Finally, since we are talking of the great Madusudan Saraswati, no less a
person than Krishna 'laughed' at this great person's intellect. Krishna too
said - you reason but where is the experience? And subsequently, MS became a
lover (of Krishna). Attached is the full story which Amuthan had posted a
while back on this mailing list!

Humble pranams and divine love, Mahesh