[Advaita-l] Re: Question: Swadharma

Abhishek RK rkabhi at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 21:36:46 CST 2006

Namaste,

But the result is also different for dvija-s and
> shudra-s! By following swadharma, dvija-s gain
> eligibility to study vedanta while shudra-s do not.
> Not having to go through the self-discipline is no
> consolation if it bars one from the pursuit of the
> highest goal.

Is the result of one work different from the other? If done with karamphala
tyaga all work in svadharma is equally rerwarding. We should not be attached
only "certain" kinds of karma but recognise that karma is only a means and
not the end which is moksha. Moksha is already attained by all. The karmas
done is only to get rid of mental incoherencies and mistaken notions. Your
quotes themselves say this.

> Note that while some commentators permit shudra-s to
> gain vedantic knowledge through gita etc., others
> including shankara do not.

As Jaldharji has pointed out this is a mistaken notion.

Regards,
Abhishek

--
bhava Sankara deSika me saraNam

sadASiva samArambham SankaracArya madhymam
asmadAcArya paryantam vande guru paramparam