[Advaita-l] Rasalila the conclusion

murali mohan murali_mohan at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 2 10:07:35 CST 2006

Based on all your helpful explanations and other explorations, I hereby conclude that Raslila could be a symbolic expression (as is every Bhagavatham story) of one's ultimate merger with the divine at the time of ego death. Just a few days back I heard someone explain this on TV thus : when death calls, a wife cannot hold back to her husband but has to go and embrace death. In the same vein, during the death of the ego one has to leave all earthly, both physical and mental, bonds and merge with the infinite. If you note, it was after this event that the Gopis lost interest in Krishna's physical presence (name and form) and was never to meet him physically again. They recognized Krishna within themselves as their very essence. As it is said, the culmination of Bhakti is Jnana and vice versa.
  Also from the advaitic point of view it may be irrevalent whether such an event really physically happened on earth or not. Historical facts are still in the dream state of maya and need not interest or influence true seekers except for the message that such events might carry.