[Advaita-l] Budha & Advaita

murali mohan murali_mohan at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 4 05:20:12 CST 2006

Probably Budha, who was a man of few words, did not talk about Brahman becoz there was no point in talking about something that cannot be described by words and has to be experienced. When one reaches Shoonya going beyond the mind then experience of Brahman comes by default. Budha generally avoided talking about things that cannot be described by words.
  Also the ritualistic portion of Vedas such as in Karma Kanda were meant only for Karma Yogis and were never considered compulsory for evolution as there are other paths such as for example Bhakti marg, direct enquiry method of Ramana Maharshi etc which also leads to the experience of the divine. Karma Kanda was prescribed for those interested in material benefits, generally for the gross people. I don't think Shankara ever advocated or supported animal sacrifies - I think it was he who clarified that what was meant by animal sacrifices in Karma Kanda was the killing of one's own animal instincts. Vedas are highly cryptic and symbolical and cannot be taken for word meaning and had to be interpreted correctly by sages like Shankara. Does anyone know whether physical animal sacrifices were ever sanctified in our scriptures? If some ignorant people degrade worship to their level of understanding the scriptures cannot be made responsible for it.

Prasad Ramamurthy Kadambi <kaupeenavanta at gmail.com> wrote:
  Namasthe,

On 1/4/06, Sankaran Aniruddhan wrote:

> I assume that practising the vedic religion involves,
> to a great extent, following the karma kanda portion of the vedas, the
> same portion that Buddhists criticised severely.
>
> *Yes* it is exactly what Kumarila Bhatta opposed and I hope you all know
about it. The two things what is generally objected with Bhuddism is their
concept of Shunya and their oppositon to karma kanda of vedas.

Regards

Prasad Kadambi
--
sada shiva samarambham Shankaracharya madhyamam !

asmadacharya paryantham vande guru paramparam !!

For assistance, contact:
listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org