[Advaita-l] Budha & Advaita

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 11:41:34 CST 2006

On 1/4/06, murali mohan <murali_mohan at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Here are my doubts:
> When we assume that Shankara (or any other Hindu sage) and Buddha are enlightened beings, how can they talk about different realities when there is only one ultimate truth? Can we not equate Shoonya to Nirguna Brahman? After all Emptiness and Fullness are two sides of the same coin - depends on how one looks at it. Also both Shoonya and Nirguna Brahman are quality-less and beyond name and form. Two enlightened persons experiencing the same truth will explain it differently due to verbal and other differences - need not mean they are talking about different realities.

Who assumed the Buddha was realized? Certainly not sha.nkara. See the
suutra bhaaShya.

Eating and going hungry are two sides of the same "food" coin, so may
be should all starve instead of eating food.

Perhaps there is a disconnect here. If you want to speculate on who
was realized, etc., there are some other mailing lists where anyone
can let their imagination run riot, and call it advaita. This list is
primarily for discussing the works of sha.nkara and the tradition
associated with him.

Rama