[Advaita-l] apauruSheya ?

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Tue Jan 17 21:36:58 CST 2006

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Dr. Yadu Moharir wrote:

> Dear All:
>
>  I have a generic question -
>
>  Why were veda were classified as being "apauruSheya"?
>
>    Was it because we could not understand them? and/or our inability to
> to admit our ability to understand them objectively?

No.  apauruSheya means without authorship (human or divine.)  The Rshis
were literally See-ers of the mantras (mantradrashta is the dictionary
definition of rshi.) not the authors.  A comparison can be made to
"Newtons" law of gravity.  Newton didn't invent gravity, he was merely the
first to explain it.  Even if a man named Isaac Newton had never been born
we would still have gravity.  In the same way if the names of certain
persons are attached to certain mantras, it only means that person was the
first to see it.  You can infer nothing about a mantra from the
personality, history etc. of its seer.