[Advaita-l] Question: Swadharma

mwadhwa at uwm.edu mwadhwa at uwm.edu
Sat Jan 28 10:38:14 CST 2006

Ramji wrote:
<<<he has interpreted
"swadharma" as duties enjoined by ones' caste and
station in life.>>>

How to determine one's caste and station in life then? Actually my  questioning
is regarding the determining factor.

Can we determine as to what is the caste; for as per my understanding it is
determined by the level of understanding and knowledge or do you have some
other meaning when you say so.

I had heard someone saying that it is about doing that which you really feel
like doing, which you really love doing, but that also isn't easily
understandable, for life's situations put oneself in different circumstances.

Also in different situations isn't it that the swadharma changes for each
individual in every situation and takes a different meaning.

This word confuses me a lot, so please make it clear to me whoever has
contemplated upon this. I tried a lot to contemplate over it but I feel I get
confused. Please enlighten me!!!

Regards,
Manish

Quoting Ram Garib <garib_ram at yahoo.co.in>:

**
** --- mwadhwa at uwm.edu wrote:
**
** > Could anyone please enlighten me regarding
** > "Swadharma" as it is used in
** > the Bhagvada Gita.
**
** Bhagvat Gita has been interpreted differently by
** different commentators. However as moderators have
** pointed out that this list is committed to the
** teachings of shankara. In this context, as far as my
** understanding of shankara goes, he has interpreted
** "swadharma" as duties enjoined by ones' caste and
** station in life.
**
** With regards,
** Ram Garib
**
**
**
** Yahoo! India Matrimony: Find your partner now. Go to http://yahoo.shaadi.com
** Archives: http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/
**
** To unsubscribe or change your options: