Brahma-vaadina.h (was Re: [Advaita-l] Re: NOTES ON MANDUKYA UPANISHAD AND KARIKA: INTRODUCTION 6)

Abhishek RK rkabhi at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 00:48:00 CDT 2006

Namaste,

Sri Rama, thanks for writing a beautiful reply to my question.

The second prashnam of the taittiriya AraNyaka beginning with sahavai devanam is indeed considered a passage for prayashcitta. Besides, it says "...svAdhyAya ityuttmaM nAkagM rohatyuttamssamAnAnAM bhavati yAvantagM ha vA imAM vittasya pUrNam dadathsvargaM lokaM jayati tAvantaM lokaM jayati bhUyAgM saMcAkShayyaM cApa punarmR^ityuM jayati brahmaNassAyujyaM gacchati".
The "phalas" for svAdhyAya, which is said to be the highest, thus include: "obtaining" heaven, complete wealth; "victory" over svargaloka, death etc; "conquering" rebirth; finally "attaining" sAyujya with (presumably, saguNa) brahman. (I request the members to give a more worthwhile translation for understanding it properly).

Regards,
Abhishek
--
satyena dhAryate pR^ithvi satyena tapate raviH|
satyena vAti vAyushca sarvaM satye pratishThitam||

calA lakShmIshcalAH prANAshcalaM jIvita yauvanaM|
calAcale ca saMsAre dharma eko hi nishcalaH||