[Advaita-l] The mind

Mahesh Ursekar mahesh.ursekar at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 10:50:31 CDT 2006

Pranams Sastriji:

Thanks for your reply. The analogy was very apt but helped to clarify
things. It is indeed interesting to see that schools like Jaina,
Nyaya-Vaishesika, Mimamsa associate feelings with the consciousness of the
soul while Samkhya-Yoga, Vedanta assign the same to the mind which has
'borrowed sentiency'.

This brings up another question that was bothering me with regard to the
Atman. If we consider two schools - Jaina and Samkhya - both regard the soul
as omniscient, then how is it that they differ in the above regard? Both
schools believe that a person can get omniscient knowledge (kevali jnana and
kaivalya mukti respectively) while alive so supposedly, their teachings
should have corroborated. Why this difference then?

Humble pranams, Mahesh