[Advaita-l] Re: [advaitin] Re: Origin of vedas

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 11:16:29 CDT 2006

Mahasannidhanam has never said puraaNas are fiction as far as I know.
They are actual events, unless there is some proper justification for
thinking that it's not. I am not sure if you have  followed the
discussion carefully. The original question by Bhaskar was on names of
realized persons in the upanishad and I pointed out that these are not
held to have any historical basis/reality. The puraaNas and itihaasas
refereed to in the ***upaniShad*** are NOT the usual purANas. They are
the stories and events related in the veda itself and are NOT
historical (as per Shankara). I doubt if the Kanchi Shankaracharya
would have disagreed with that (given that Shankara has been explicit
in his bhAShya). Hope that helps.

Rama