[Advaita-l] Re: institutionalization of religion

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 11:27:29 CDT 2006

As a general comment, I will just point out that even the most
"traditional" of Mutts are involved in collecting money - large sums
of it. I personally know of one instance where large sums of money
have been collected illegally in one Mutt. Not regarding how the money
was earned by the donators (likely super legal ways only), but having
to do with other things. The problem is that the traditional people
complaining about Ramakrishna Mutt stop using their the critical
faculties when it comes to their own organisations.

In defence of the Ramakrishnaism idea propounded by the RK Mission
folks, let me point out that Ramakrishna did advocate some new ideas
also. Further the Indian government sees fit to tax Hindu
organisations and making other religions tax exempt (very secular).

Go to any mutt and you will find people donating lots of money getting
royal treatment and personal talks with the aachaaryas. It's very
difficult not to do otherwise. Let's stop critcizing the RK folks and
just try to find out whether the same things go on in your favorite
Mutt. I guarantee that you'll be surprised.

Rama