[Advaita-l] On Sri Thaygaraja

Lakshmi Muthuswamy lakmuthu at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 15 13:26:03 CDT 2006

Annapureddy Siddhartha Reddy <annapureddy at gmail.com> wrote:

  -- Also, you mentioned that tyAgarAja was close to advaita. Could you
tell us more about it? I only know of his devotional songs to shrI
rAma, and was unaware that he advocated advaitic beliefs. Thanks.

Reddyagaaru,

  To understand and study Sri Thayagaras contribution to nAda yoga,  one can spend one's lifetime. I wonder if that is sufficient.

  There is nothing that he has not dealt with in his songs.

  Some examples:

  santamu lekha saukyamuledu

  nAdaloludai brahmananda mandave manasa

  mokshamu galada in sAramati- referring to jivanmukti

  on jivanmukti-   bhu janma mulaku paini jnAniyai baraguta mokshamura, sahaja bhaktito rAgajnAnasahitudu muktudurA manasA

  gItartamu sangiItanAdamu in Suruti

  narajanmamejanmamu o manasA

  SangItagnAnamu bhakti vinA sanmArgamu galade? manasa (in dhanyAsi)
  kAyajAdi shadripulu jayinchu kAryamu delusunu, tyagarajuuniki.

  I am quoting from the book "The spiritual Heritage of Tyagaraja" an introductory thesis by Dr. Raghavan - a book worth spending time to study.

  "In enduku peddalavale(shaknkarabharanam) Thyagaraja juxtaposes Veda and sastra, Advaita jnAna and the secrets of nAda vidyA, implying thereby that a mastery of the secrets of music confer the same summum bonum as Vedantic knowledge and spiritual realisation gained by metaphysical pursuits."

  The mistakes in my Telugu tranliteration to be pardoned.

  om namo narayanya

  Lakshmi Muthuswamy