[Advaita-l] GITA - 2.31

Abhishek RK rkabhi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 09:13:21 CST 2006

> on the other hand, when ashoka saw the death of
> innumerable soldiers in the battlefield, he was filled
> with compassion and took up ahimsA after being
> prompted by a buddhist monk. ashoka's grief and it's
> causes weren't much different from that of arjuna's.
> the only difference is that arjuna had kRShNa beside
> him, not someone who would enhance his false
> compassion and ultimately make him embrace ahimsA.
> ashoka was quite lucky that no one invaded his country
> after he took up ahimsA. just imagine what would have
> happened if someone had taken advantage of the
> situation and plundered his whole country :-)

With regard to the above it has to be noted that Ashoka was no longer
following the vaidika dharma when he "adopted" ahiMsa but he had become a
bouddha. Noone can deny the harm caused by such pretentious ahiMsa to our
people. Also note that some (like Arabs and Turks) did take advantage of
ahiMsa followed in bouddha parts of Bharatvarsha and invaded the land. So
the harm was done in giving up of svadharma by some of our previous rulers.

Regards,
Abhishek