[Advaita-l] Proper worship in Shankara's tradtion

harish subramanian athibuddhi at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 2 23:23:59 CST 2006

Thanks for your clarification on bhutas. Reading some
of the translations done by Sri Vaishnavas and
Gaudiyas, I was confused.

I found this Information about  yama in internet,
which describes his journey to "yamasthapura".
I am not sure from which source this Information was
taken.Can anyone tell me that?

Coming back to the Panchayatana worship,why is it that
Shankara instituted only five deities. Is it to keep
the number simple, or is to advocate only that
worship,which will ultimately take  to vedic
realization.Does that mean worship of even other vedic
gods,such as skanda is not good enough!, to move
towards the truth.

I hear some people in this group saying that "bhakti"
is not perfect. If my understanding is right,there is
nothing wrong to start believeing that the individual
is different from the deity to start with.

My understanding is as follows.Correct me If I am
wrong.
The one entity manifests into different identities(One
can have an analogy with MPSD problem experienced by
some people) and each entity even though is borne out
of the single mind starts looking at the universe in a
dual state.
That is why, I feel confidant , that you are not the
same as me.So just as single form manifests into
multiple identies, this process needs to be reversed
so that the dual identity starts uniting with the
original identity.But, the cause(parabrahman),for all
this remains intact(in mind). Just like a dreamer
prserves his assumed identity(based on the level of
understanding of oneself) even in his dream with many
characters
So bhakti is reversal process, so one ultimately
through love unite with the bhagwan.
Lord Shiva, Vinayaka,Devi are all the same. But that
does not make them untrue, they actually exist,in the
worlds imagined/created for unrealized souls,to the
minds manifested as dual identities,as some would like
to suggest.So an unqualified mind will need the help
of  bhakti, to unite with the deity and see the truth
as percieved by the deity. So if I were to worship an
unrealized soul, I Will merge in that perspective,
without seeing the real truth.

Imagine untying knots in a length rope. The end of the
rope is moved this way and that to finally untie
it.But if one is not carfeful, there would be more
knots and in a certain situation, untying the knots
would have become far more difficult, then it was in
the beginning.It is not sufficient to believe that the
rope is a single straight rope, one should also know
how the knots have arisen in the first place, and
follow  plan and follow systematic steps in a
particular order to untie them.

One can sympathasize on advaita, but one must
experience it, and to do that worship is extremely
important.It does not matter, that the worship is
conducted , with a dual perspective, as long as the
deity worshipped is proper. The deity rescues the
devotee.

That is why all the greatest advaitic seers were
devotees in  the first place-
Shankracharya, Appaiah deekshita, Ramakrishna
paramahamsa etc.
Worship and bhakti is not merely a prelimiary step,
bhakti is needed until the penultimate step.at the
ultimate step even words have no difference.The
knowing is jnana. But then  jnana has become bhakti at
this stage.
Can Someone give me the names of the works,which
describe worship as instituted by shankara.

Regards,
Subramanian V.