[Advaita-l] NOTES ON MANDUKYA UPANISHAT AND KARIKA - INTRODUCTION -1.

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 14 23:51:54 CST 2006

Sree Senaniji and Yaduji - PraNAms to both of you.
Thanks for your comments. Since I am out of station, delay in my

Senaniji - After you mentioned in your private mail, I went back again
to see BhavatpAda Shankara's commentary. Yes you are right.

There are extensive discussions as you mentioned taking blue lotus as an
example.  Yes he goes through an extended analysis that sat which is
necessary condition becomes a sufficient condition be anantam.

I still feel that sat is Brahman itslef a necessary and sufficient
condition - In the Ch. Up it starts with Sadeva soumya idam agra Aseet.
ekamevA advitIyam. since the Vedas define in the converse form.  Sat is
Brahman and Chit is Brahman and Anantam or anandam is Brahman.  Chit
cannot be seperate from sat since we are taking about non-existent chit.
 Sat has to anantam even logically since if sat is finite, outside of
sat should exist and therefore should be included in the sat.
If they are only necessary qualifications - vedas would have defined as
Brahman is sat chit ananda or anantam.  By converse definition I feel
Veda mandates that there is no thing other than sat chit ananda or
anantam.
The reason is Shree Vedanta Deshika in his tatva mukTA KalApa as well as
in his shatadhUShaNii he criticise advaita vedanta and shows that all
visheshaNas at the most are only attributive and not substantive - and
not swarUpa laxanas.

In the tarka shastra they do talk about deterministic qualifications
which distinguishes one object from the other.

Let us take the cow - what is a cow or what qualification distinguishes
cow from a horse.  One cannot comeup with any one particular
deterministic qualification - at last they define cow is that has
Vedanta Deshika says it is an integrated qualities of all other
attributes, by which can distinguish the jati.  This is gained by
experince.  "What is well established by experience is undeniable" TMK
V-1.

The problem is there is no specific 'gotvam' attribute and other than
defining 'gotvam'of cowness is that which cow has - it is a circular
defintion since there is no swarUpa laxana for cow.

No object in the unverse can have swarUpa laxana since the substantive
of the object is only Brahman.

I will try  to present this in a coherent form. Ultimately only Brahman
can have swarUpa laxaNa.

Hari OM!
Sadananda