[Advaita-l] discussion about panchayatan puja

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 16 22:23:56 CST 2006

"Abhishek RK" <rkabhi at gmail.com> wrote:

>Also I had the impression that the samhita, brahmana and aranyaka are
>usually put in karma-kanda. I request the members to correct me here if I
>am
>wrong.

Many people are confused about this. The confusion vanishes if we simply
stop thinking of the Vedas as a "book" in the modern sense of the word.

It is not as if there are well-defined sections internal to the vedas, with
a self-proclamation, "here ends the karmakanda" or "here begins the
jnanakanda". In fact, in the taittirIya branch, there is no clear
distinction between even the mantra and brAhmaNa portions as they are found
interspersed with each other.

Whether a given passage is karmakANDa or upAsanAkANDa or jnAnakANDa has to
be understood with respect to understanding the content of the passage. At
its base, it is very simple, as the classification refers mainly to the
thrust of the passage. Does it teach action,either directly or through
inference, or does it teach a particular mode of worship/meditation (e.g.
pancAgni-vidyA), or does it only teach knowledge (e.g. ayam AtmA brahma)?
This mode of classifying the subject matter of the veda is often independent
of samhitA, brAhmaNa, AraNyaka distinctions in the title headings of the
sections of the veda.

It is very counter-productive to dismiss karmakANDa offhand. Most of us are
not at the stage where we are ready to renounce action. So long as we are
bound by our common desires, for home, money, name, fame, children, property
and so long as we are ruled by our anger, jealousy, envy, lust, avarice, we
have to pay proper attention to the karmakANDa. And we notice that even the
rare individuals who have risen above these do pay attention to the
karmakANDa, in order to preserve the tradition and to guide us.

Regards,
Vidyasankar