[Advaita-l] The power of AUM

Rishi Lamichhane rishi.lamichhane at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 19:37:39 CST 2006

"I try to meditate as often as possible and do
appreciate the benefits of recitation of AUM. As I am not well read with
respect to the scriptures I wish to know from the knowledgable people in
this group about their thoughts on AUM recitation and the correct way to
practise its recitation."

The way I was taught about who is qualified for what mantra and which
mantra requires initiation, etc... is generally extremely liberal.
However, with regard to the pranava, I think it really is not a good
mantra to recite unless one has very strong vairagya.

After properly doing japa of the pranava, there follows a kind of
state (initially unnoticable though) where you don't really want to do
anything (especially you don't want to talk) and are too strongly
introverted. This state can feel mildly depressing because one is used
to the "ups" part of samsara and suddenly it all feels a bit flat
(very different from the more ecstatic states generated by something
like the navarna or the gopala-tapani mantra). For a qualified person
this state induced by the pranava is of course a supremely useful
state to work with.

This happens only when the pranava is pronounced properly, which
generally means short, "gong"-like pronounciations. Reciting it in the
long drawn out fashion (meaning long ooooooooooooommmmmmmmm) is fine
for everyone but its not really different from humming. Its beneficial
because its physically and mentally relaxing but the power of the
mantra as such won't be there.

I think unless you have a qualified preceptor telling you otherwise,
its better if you practice with the mantra of your ishta or kula
devata (so basically I agree with Sri Srivastava).

Regards,

Rishi.