[Advaita-l] Re: Re: Devas Adhikara, Rama and Sambuka

Annapureddy Siddhartha Reddy annapureddy at gmail.com
Sat May 13 20:12:15 CDT 2006

Shree Viswanathan gaaru,
               Namaskaaramu. I have the following objections against your
explanation that the Vedas (the Karma Kanda part) are meant for pleasing the
Devas themselves, and hence they do not need to go through them.
    The word "Adhikara" seems to mean "Right" (as in the authority to do
something). And the Adhikara is for "all" of the Vedas including the
Samhitas, Brahmanas, Aranyakas, and the Upanishads (and not necessarily
restricted to the Samhita and the Brahmana parts). Thus, we are excluding
the Devas from the Adhikara for even the Upanishadic parts.
    Also, it seems the injunction from Jaimini bars the Devas from
Veda-Adhikara, rather than pointing at the lack of a necessity of
Veda-Adhikara for Devas. (I might be wrong here though, as the reasons
behind the injunction are precisely what I set to find out).

Cheers.

A.Siddhartha.