[Advaita-l] Re: Re: Brahman, Isvara, and VishishthAdvaita

Annapureddy Siddhartha Reddy annapureddy at gmail.com
Sat May 13 20:33:19 CDT 2006

Shree Viswanathanji,
                  Namaskaaramu. Thanks for your responses to both my
questions. Anyways, I feel that the analogy you gave does not represent the
Advaitic position (I will point out the reasons below). Please feel free to
refine your position or refute mine, if appropriate.

The Advaita Vedantic position, AFAIK, asserts the unchangeable nature of
Brahman, i.e., what we see as activity (the birth, decay, and death of the
entities in the vyavaharika world) is regarded as ultimately unreal. Without
going into further details, your analogy contradicts this position by saying
that the world is indeed a real emanation from Brahman. In fact, the analogy
of waves rising from the ocean represents the BhedaBheda view of Bhaskara
(and if I remember correctly, this position is considered and refuted by
Sankara in his Brahma Sutra Bhasya. Bhartruprapancha, a  pre-Sankarite
commentator is also known to have held the same BhedaBheda views).

Cheers.

A.Siddhartha.