[Advaita-l] Re: Re: Brahman, Isvara, and VishishthAdvaita

Annapureddy Siddhartha Reddy annapureddy at gmail.com
Sun May 14 20:11:34 CDT 2006

All: Apologies for posting this twice. I sent the previous message
inadvertently
without finishing my response.

Shree Viswanathan gaaru,
               Namaskaaramu. I agree with you that this world of
dualities that we see around us is real, until we realize Brahman.
In fact, Advaita Vedanta says that this world is ultimately unreal only
in the sense that it gets sublated at some point (and is not eternal).
It does not say that this world is an illusion in the sense that a
hare's horn is an illusion.
    But your analogy of ocean and waves is incorrect because it suggests
that the Brahman is "actually transformed" to produce this world of
dualities -- and this goes against the theory of Advaita Vedanta. Brahman
is changeless, motionless etc. in Advaita Vedanta.
    Please note that I am not saying that your analogy cannot be
deduced from Sruti. You can probably take recourse to the Vivarta Vada
to explain the Sruti statements that mention that Brahman is changeless
etc. But well, it is not Advaita Vedanta then.

Cheers.

A.Siddhartha.