[Advaita-l] RM and shaMkara - part 2 (was Re: doubt on the role of shruti vAkyAs)

jagannathan mahadevan jagannathan.mahadevan at gmail.com
Mon May 15 23:22:57 CDT 2006

Thank you for the reply Amuthan. I do agree that moderation reflects
balance and hence required in all aspects of expression. However, I
have a feeling that the very act of seeking the truth may not allow
it. For example, in the aspect of forbearance, RamaNa mahaRSi
expressed superhuman will power during his fight with the cancerous
growth in his shoulder. While I am not saying everyone has to endure
the same pain, I am sure everyone who is a mumukShU has to have a
similar will power to achieve the necessary qualification to listen to
the mahAvAkyAs which reveal the truth. I guess I still agree with your
thoughts though.

> (A: aparokSha j~nAna is produced by mere shravaNa even
> for mumukShUs who are not uttamAdhikArIs. B,C:
> aparokSha j~nAna arises during nididhyAsana, manana
> respectively (but not during shravaNa) for mumukShUs
> who are not uttamAdhikArIs.)

Is parokSha j~nAna same as sAkShAtkArA? i.e. direct experience of
subject which until then was only known indirectly (aparokSha
j~nAna?). Thanks in advance for your attention.

Sincerely,
Jagannathan.