[Advaita-l] Re: pramANatva of shruti [was

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 23 19:43:28 CST 2006

>shabda pramANa can be classified as follows:
>-- vEdas
>-- dharmashAstras
>-- itihAsas and purANas
>
>If we put the above question to the pUrva mImAmsakas, they will say:

For vedAnta, an important criterion for acceptance of smRti as pramANa when
it does not conflict with Sruti is that they have been traditionally been
accepted as such by learned people (SishTa-parigraha).

For example, in BSBh 2.1.3, when talking of sAMkhya and yoga, Sankara says
"sAMkhya-yogau hi parama-purushArtha-sAdhanatvena loke prAkhyAtau, SishTaiS
ca parigRhItau .." There is a combination of common acceptance, tradition
and learning that validates why smRti texts are accepted as pramANa.

Regards,
Vidyasankar