SSS on "Effort after GYAna" (was Re: [Advaita-l] Re: Pa~nchapAdikAchArya)

bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Tue Oct 10 06:07:33 CDT 2006

praNAms Sri Karthik prabhuji
Hare Krishna

K prabhuji:

Actually, I was questioning SSS's claim that effort need not be made
after GYAna. You had written: "According to SSS answer for the (d) is
NO...*effort* implies *katrutva* whereas brahma jnAna sublates this
very notion of *katrutva* *pramAtrutva* etc.  prasaNkhyAna vAda
simply does not fit into the context of shruti pratipAdita *brahma
jnAni*."

bhaskar :

prabhuji, kindly let me know if there is anything wrong in my above
observation.  shruti says brahmavit brahmaiva bhavati...and shankara too
confirms this in gItA bhAshya that after the dawn of knowledge the notion
of very knowership (pramAtrutva) will get sublated...There is no katrutva
nor bhOktruva bhAva in jnAni since he is brahman himself (brahmaiva bhavati
confirms this)...

K prabhuji:

My question is: how does SSS interpret Sankara's commentary on the
Brihadaranyaka Upanishad 1.4.7, where Sankara quite clearly speaks of
effort to be made after GYAna. Sankara says here that even after
obtaining GYAna, there may be a trace of karma, and therefore further
Sadhana is required for eradicating this karma (Note: the reference
to niyama vidhi was discussed in the past in this list, but not the
reference to GYAna and karma in this context):

bhaskar :

prabhuji, kindly pardon me I am not clear here...dont you think discussion
about  *niyama vidhi* is part & parcel of karma..kindly elaborate what
exactly you are trying to insist here.... its been said that jnAni does not
have apUrvavidhi but has to observe niyama vidhi...but this niyama vidhi
should be understood not as an injuction but as an automated process in the
jnAni.  As a matter of fact, unlike other schools, bhagavadpAda is the
first to argue that there is nothing left for a jnAni once the Atma jnAna
has fully dawned. (bhidhyate hrudaya grantiM chidyaNte sarva saMshayAH
asserts shruti).  Further he confirms that after realization, there is no
more jIvatva, so there can be no individual who can put effort to stabilize
& sustain anything.  If the Atma jnAna loses its intensity due to lack of
*effort* & needs recharing process time & again from the holder of jnAna
then it cannot be called as brahma jnAna & that jnAni cannot be a
brahmajnAni...saMyag jnAna is not a temporary state which calls for
refurbishing act regularly...this is anyway my humble understanding
prabhuji.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar