[Advaita-l] Re: Pa~nchapAdikAchArya

venkata subramanian venkat_advaita at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 25 11:07:36 CDT 2006

  In any case, is your contention that either Virupaksha Sastri or Swami Sivabhinava Narasimha Bharati were the brahmavits he approached? If they were, then they accepted the pa~ncapaadika and they were brahmavits anyway. So what is the harm in using the pa~ncapaadika? But actually that's not the situation, no? SSS considered all these people blind!

  I dont think that to be a Brahmavit - one should accept Panchapadika.    It is a sub-commentary with its own logical explanations.  thats it.  we are placing logic beyond its status - making it an over rated virtue.  The Brahma Vidya that is conveyed in the Sruthi - that is the Tradition, which SSS received from his Gurus.   Whether any logical explanation (like whether Avidya is Bhava or Abhava etc) those should be secondary details.

  He has used Panchapaadika and he felt that that there is no need it and that the Bhashyas are self sufficient.  I dont think that if one were to accept only one's Guru upadesa,  - without considering any additional "aid", that should be a sacrilege.

  > By the way, i fully agree with you that tradition is not got by book reading. But is it not a fact that this Swamigal has read in the traditional way under Gurus. he never book read himself....

Actually this is repudiated directly by his direct disciple in a
publication by the kaaryaalaya itself. Mr Gangolli claims that all
these people did not understand shankara, and it was SSS (with some
help from Krishnaswamy Iyer) who did it all by himself.

Ramaji, you cannot consider such books and authors to make your view on that Swamigal.  i can say only so much on this.

Thanks & Regards,
Venkat.

Sadgurubhyo Namah.