[Advaita-l] Re: Pa~nchapAdikAchArya

K Kathirasan NCS kkathir at ncs.com.sg
Thu Oct 26 10:13:10 CDT 2006

Namaste Rameshji,

My subsequent reply to Venkatji's post would have clarified my position. I am very much with you on most of your points except the part about Yoga. I believe you hold the view that Sankhya is Pramana and Yoga is Sadhana. Or rather 'theory' and 'practice' respectively. In the Vivekachudamani it is taught:

na yogena na saa.nkhyena karmaNaa no na vidyayaa .
brahmaatmaikatvabodhena mokshaH sidhyati naanyathaa

Translation: Neither by Yoga, nor by Sankhya, nor by work, nor by learning, but by the realisation of one's identity with Brahman is Liberation possible, and by no other means.

May I know which Yoga is the Acharya refuting here?

To look at Shravana, Manana & Nididhyasana as Yogic teaching is not problem at all as long as we are clear that it is Vastu Tantra. But not in the case of Yoga Sadhana (referring to patanjali yoga or even Upasana) which is Purusha Tantra. Yoga can be defined in many ways but as long we are clear about the differences between Vastu tantra and purusha tantra there should not be any confusion.

If you were to ask me if Yoga Sadhana as taught by Patanjali and other acharyas are valid in Advaita Vedanta. I would say YES and I would qualify my reply by saying that such Sadhanas help in preparing the mind for Shravana manana Nididhyasana to be effective. Therefore, Purusha tantra sadhanas are not a direct means for moksha.

The idea that one is theory and the other is practice is itself another new theory. Pls read the following articles to know how Shastra works as an independent means of knowledge:

http://www.yogamalika.org/veda_as_science.html
http://members.tripod.com/vedantamission/Pub/VSdec98.htm

If you still have doubts as to how Jnana can be a direct means to Moksha, pls read Accomplishing the Accomplished by Anantanand Rambachan: http://www.amazon.com/Accomplishing-Accomplished-Monograph-Comparative-Philosophy/dp/0824813588

I pray the Lord to give clarity to both of us.

With love,
Kathirasan