[Advaita-l] Re: paJNchAyatana pUja

Viswanathan N vishy1962 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 9 06:31:48 CDT 2006

Dear Thiru Anbuji  Vanakkam

  If you go deeper in the Advaitha, how can one perceive Eswara sitting seperately somewhere and decending down whenever necessary?
  Than whats the meaning of all mahavakyas?
  I infer the verse you have quoated as "  I am every where, all pervading and manifest in a particular form and place  to restore the balance whenever necessary" . Just balance, not even as good over bad / punya over papa/ devas over asuras/   beyond a level .Brahman is attributeless, isnt it!
  I think our inferences are to mainatain an orderliness in the society at large, just to create carrot& stcik approch for mainatining morality. Ofcourse these too are genune in their ownway to maintain the fabric of the society.But for one whose goal is to realise the 'Brahman' itsef, I think , one should cross over all these dualities.Thats what I see as core of Advaitha.

Pranams
  Vishwanathan
Anbu sivam2 <anbesivam2 at gmail.com> wrote:
  Dear Sri Viswanathji,

The purpose of the Avatars has been clearly stated by Sri Krishna as
"ParithrAnAya SadhunAm VinAsAyacha DhushkrithAm, Dharma SamsthAbhanArthAya
SambhavAmi YugE YugE". Therefore your fancying " I would rather prefer to
see even Krishna as any normal human, but who had attained that Godliness "
Aham Brhamasmi". ?" is not correct. Easwara is playing his role in all his
three aspects of Srishti, Sthithi and Pralayam.

Regards,
Anbu

On 9/9/06, Viswanathan N wrote:

> Shri Siddarthaji....Namaskaram
>
> The question, views and counterviews on ithihasas and puranas are really
> interesting and debatable. I would still say most of the puranas are just
> stories to drive some point . But as far as ithihasas are concerned they
> could be real life incidents, bit blown out of proportion, by the
> hitorians to glorify the charecters.
> I would rather prefer to see even Krishna as any normal human, but who
> had attained that Godliness " Aham Brhamasmi". Perhaps the realisation might
> have happened to him in very early stage or even might have born as realised
> due to his earlier karmas. At times I even think, going by dasavathara story
> line, he elvated himself from lowest form to that of " Purushotama" in
> Ramavatar and attained that Advaithic completeness in Krishnavatar. Than,
> whatever, he preached to arjuna from the state of realized person couldnt be
> lesser than that of Baghavad Geetha.
>
> I would say the conciousness at that level is what is refered as krishna
> conciousness and every one should try to attain by culmination of Jnana/
> karama/bhakthi/raja yogas.
>
> These are purely my inferences and all in the list pardon, if I have
> errored, and correct me.
>
> Pranams
> Vishwanath
> Annapureddy Siddhartha Reddy wrote:
> praNAm.h Vishwanathanji, Bhaskarji, Ramaji, Shiva Senani gAru,
> Thanks for responding with your views. I am responding to all of your
> points in this mail. Please see my comments below:
>

> > So, would I be right in saying that advaita vEdAnta as a tradition does
> > not
> > uphold one view over the other; that all of these views are fine in as
> far
> > as they make the sAdhaka realize the nirguNa nature of brahma?
>

> Could you tell me if the above approach is sanctioned by the tradition of
> advaita vEdAnta?
>

> > I felt that these puranas are told to just to drive / uphold some moral
> > values and nothng more. The story tellers were different and were just
> using
> > the same names/ charecters in thier stories without botheirng much about
> > their role in earlier stories. So we need to see the final moral of the
> > story rather than the charecters.
>

> Viswanathanji, while the above is a position that could be taken, I am not
> sure if the tradition holds the same view about the itihAsas (if not the
> purANas). Given the importance of the rAmAyaNa and the mahAbhArata, it is
> not easy to dismiss them. Though these itihAsas have been tampered with,
> the
> basic stories seem to be accepted by all vEdAntic traditions.
>
> Also, it raises questions about the bhagavad.h gIta. How could you accept
> the bhagavad.h gIta as a pramANa without treating the mahAbhArata in which
> it occurs to be so (at least in as far as the mahAbhArata does not go
> against the vEdas)?

> [...]

For assistance, contact:
listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org