[Advaita-l] Pa~nchapAdikAchArya

jagannathan mahadevan jagannathan.mahadevan at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 00:46:16 CDT 2006

Kartik,

I read the article you had posted- distinction between jivanmukta and
brahmagyani.

What is the connection to this context of Sri SSS's vs Others on
padmapadikacharya?

Anyway I was interested in understanding more about the posting you
had referred to. Please see the following in your posting and also
note the context in that post.

<maivaM, adagdhabIjavadavidyApUrvakakAmAdereva mukhyarAgAditvena
punarjanmahetutvAt.h . GYAninastu dagdhabIjavadAbhAsamAtrA eva
rAgAdayaH .
"(Reply:) It is not so. Desire etc. generated by ignorance are the real
attachment etc. and are, like unbaked seeds, the cause of birth. As for
the Knowers (GYAnIs), like baked seeds, the attachment etc. are just
appearances (i.e. cannot cause rebirth).">

Is the above saying that Gyanis cannot be affected by attachment even
if present (desires borne out of avidya) and in turn they do not cause
rebirth? Would this not mean that Gyani's are jivanmukta?

In the following quoted from your post:

<tarhiM sthitapraGYasyApi te santviti chet.h .
"(Objection:) Then let the sthitapraGYa also have them (attachment
etc.)."

na, tatkAle mukhyavadevAbhasamAnAnAM bAdhakatvAt, rajjusarpo.api
mukhyasarpavadeva tadAnIM bhIshhayannupalabhyate, tadvat.h .
"Not so, because at that time they, even the apparent attachment etc.,
cause hindrance to the state of sthitapraGYa just like the real ones.
Even the rope-snake at the time of its perception causes fear just as
the real snake. Like that.">

Does the above try to say that jivanmukta cannot have even apparent
attachment leave alone the effect of attachment etc.?

Jagan.