[Advaita-l] Re: samAdhi -Universe merging into brAhmaN of shruti- is not an Experience

RAMESH RAMANAN rameshramanan at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Sep 22 01:01:28 CDT 2006

Namaste Abhishekji,

  Sri Abhinava Vidya Teertha Mahaswami (35fth pontiff of Sringeri Math) has clearly said that Nirvikalpa Samadhi is a  VERY SPECIAL WAY to attain knowledge, but it is NOT the ONLY way. Swami Premananda (a direct disciple of Sri Ramakrishna) was denied the experience of Nirvikalpa Samadhi, but was granted the direct experience of advaita by God according to Sri Ramakrishna and hence, he too attained Moksha, without ever experiencing Nirvikalpa Samadhi.

  From this, it is clear that samadhi is not an action, but an experience and a state of spiritual attainment. One may have to make efforts to reach that state, but the state itself is not an action. Further, it is also clear from the words of the sages that it is a special way of attaining knowledge, but is not the only means of the attainment of knowledge. I am not able to understand how else could knowledge be attained without the experience of Samadhi, but I believe in the words of Sri Abhinava Vidya Teertha and Sri Ramakrishna.  I think that the Grace/Sankalpa of the Guru can confer direct realization of advaita, just as Sri Adi Sankara's Sankalpa alone converted a dull Totaka into a great Acharya.

Pranams again, Ramesh Ramanan.