[Advaita-l] Re: Pa~nchapAdikAchArya

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 14:14:59 CDT 2006

Dear Sri Venkat,

You previously wrote:

"study - drawn up his theme that the sub-commentaries are not "sub"
commentaries to the main.  If we can accept Bhamati and Vivarana
Schools fighting with each other over which faction is correct; then
how come Acharya's school broke into two, when only one can be correct
- which is handed over in tradition ?   Cant we see Jagadguru
Vidyaranya himself adding new examples and models to drive home the
point.  Thus, within the tradition, innovation and new thoughts have
always been a welcome."

The last statement is a theory espoused by the traditional advaitins
and NOT SSS. According to SSS all the changes from Sankara are wrong.
This is why I thought that you were saying SSS can also be conceived
to be in the same tradition as Vidyaaranya, et. al. and that he is
just giving an alternate explanation.

That the bhaamatii and vivaraNa both have validity and are different
ways of explaining the same final result has been established beyond
any doubt by the great Citsukha. So there is no need to drag bhaamatii
and vivaraNa here.

You also wrote:

" Any student of advaita will understand that without a Guru's
teaching in the traditional way, it is impossible to have Brahma
Nishta - for Shravana is the only direct means to Nishta and Shravana
can be had only from a Guru"

So my two questions are simple and direct:

1. What tradition does SSS belong to, which makes him a sapradaayavit
of that tradition?
2. Which guru established him in brahma-niShTha?

Rama