[Advaita-l] Request for information!

Amuthan aparyap at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 02:01:26 CDT 2007

On 3/30/07, Ramkumar Nereniki <ramkumar_at_adobe.com> wrote:
> Is there an institution/patashala/gurukula/ where both traditional
> education (principally Vedas) as well as loukika (modern) education are
> simultaneously imparted (with stress on traditional education)?

if you are in chennai, you may check out the ahobila maTha oriental
school in west mAmbalam where kids undergo vedAdhyanana almost
everyday in addition to their laukIka studies. while i was doing my
undergrads at chennai, i underwent adhyayana of certain parts of the
taittirIya samhitA there and based on my experience there, i can
assure you that they do a very good job. they have vedAdhyayana twice
a day, in the mornings from 04:30 to 07:00 hrs and in the afternoons
from 15:30 to 18:00 hrs and the training is pretty rigorous. they
study regular subjects during the day. the vedAdhyayana typically
starts when the kids are about 8-10 years old (immediately after their
upanayana) and it takes about 6 years to complete one veda completely.
most kids do complete adhyayana of the veda to which they belong.

-- amudan.